Monday, September 17, 2012

Birdemic: Shock and Terror (James Nguyen, 2010) Review

Curse you JonTron! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO INTRODUCE ME TO THIS FILM?!! For those who don't know, JonTron is a video game reviewer on YouTube and his website NormalBoots.com. A while ago, he released a review for a film...it was this film. It was a warning, I can assure you as I wish I hadn't known of this film...but let's save that for the review, shall we? *sigh* alright...let's take a look...

To start with, we have Rod (Alan Bagh), you're typical guy. We get to see his whole day...seriously...his WHOLE day (traffic and petrol stop included). When visiting a restaurant, he runs into Nathalie (Whitney Moore) who he is instantly smitten to. Sounds like a typical love story, right? Heheh...no. Shortly after, a flock of birds invades and goes about killing everyone. They discover they cause of the birdemic...GLOBAL WARMING! (Dun dun duuun). Now Rod and his friends must find a way to survive the outbreak.

Okay, it sounds like it isn't that bad and could be considered a good idea (kind of like a homage to Hitchcock's The Birds) but...no...it is anything but good. I can estimate the budget was probably around £40 and therefore looks atrocious. I have made my own short films with quite basic equipment but I don't go around and put them DVD unless I thought they were exceptionally good...and even then I wouldn't distribute it across the world! The camera was clearly cheap, the actors can't act and the special effects...JUST LOOK AT THAT PICTURE (where they are fighting off bad CGI birds with clothes hangers...).

The problem is: I'm not sure if they're being serious when they made this film. They're is a moral surrounding global warming but the execution of it is questionable. This was clearly a film that a bunch of people made one day to try and promote their own opinions on climate change...it didn't work. I don't care how accurate this is (since they clearly know their stuff about preventing it) but it doesn't work. If you want to promote an idea to try and change people's opinion...make a good film.

Birdemic is...a film. An absolutely terrible one but still...it's a film. I can't even imagine the kind of person who would want to watch this...I feel as though I should read a book or something. It would be a better use of my time! Do you want to know something worse than this film? They're making a sequel. Same people and I can only imagine it would therefore be worse...I'm scared...

Verdict:
1/10
A terrible film that I'm not sure if it's to be taken seriously or not...they get that one point since they did do a bit a research...I assume.

No comments:

Post a Comment