Saturday, April 27, 2013

Iron Man 3 (Shane Black, 2013) Review

It's time to review my very first film from 2013! I was looking over the films of this year and, frankly, I'm pretty disappointed considering how amazing last year was. I will admit that this was one of the only films I was looking forward to and, since we get it before America (revenge for Wreck-it Ralph, I guess), it's finally out and it's time to take a look at Iron Man 3...with a new director. Lets see how this goes.

After previous attacks on Stark Industries, a new villain, The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley), decides to attack Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) personally. Tony decides to take it into his own hands by tracking down those responsible for attempting to destroy his life. Tony teams up with his friend James Rhodes (Don Cheadle) in order to take down The Mandarin as well as look into what Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) is up to.

I don't want to spoil with details but there is one moment where I just got so mad at the writers (while in fits of hysterical laughter...sort of a mixed reaction)  where I felt it was a twist waaaay to far (or not far enough, depending on your perspective). Warning to die-hard comic fans...YOU WILL BE PISSED OFF! Now with that one thing out of the way (taking off a point for it), we can look at the good stuff, and believe me...there is ALOT of good stuff (so much so, that it swamps over my main rant point).

The writing in this film is fantastic and insanely funny (insane is definitely the right word for that). The humour is spot on and had me in fits of laughter, even the bit that pissed me off (THAT...takes effort). Robert Downey Jr. does an incredible job in his iconic role to the point that he has become Tony Stark. Even the side characters become more involved and more developed. JARVIS (Paul Bettany) and Happy (Jon Favreau) get much more involved in the story (which is great, by the way) while Don Cheadle and Gwyneth Paltrow prove their worth. The soundtrack has also been ramped up to a memorable level. It's not up there with Avengers Assemble's soundtrack but hot damn is it good! It ascends things from the previous films and actually makes the series stand out and, with the change in director, breaths new life into the series. Give the writers an Oscar...please (the Academy screwed me over this year so please me, for once).  Even the action has been ramped up (the finale is mind-blowing..ly epic)!

Iron Man 3 is what the previous films should have been. The writing is amazing, the actors do a better job than before, the soundtrack is memorable, the action is mind blowing, the narrative is brilliant and I'm all out of complemental adjectives. Watch this, and you will be crying of laughter. It's unpredictable and I had no idea where the film as going which leads to some great moments. Iron Man 3 is a refreshing film as its rare to find a film with this level of humour that all comes from dialogue and delivery. Go! Watch this now! 

Verdict:
9/10
Exactly what I wanted from an Iron Man film. The writing and humour is spot on and the actors put so much effort into the film.

Also, stay after the credits...you'll not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment