Monday, August 26, 2013

The King's Speech (Tom Hooper, 2010) Reivew

Damn, this is a late review. I've just been so busy (or distracted, you decide) so I guess I'll have to do 2 reviews today (I know! Amazing!). This has been a film that I've been delaying for quite some time so i guess it's finally time to review The King's Speech...no, there is no special event to tie this film to, I just picked a film and random as I usually do (I haven't been watching that many films lately...shocking for someone called Opinionated Movie-Goer...).

Telling the real life story of King George VI (Colin Firth), George (real name Bertie) suffers from a stammer which would be an obvious problem when Bertie is reluctantly made King of England. Bertie's wife, Elizabeth (Helena Bonham Carter), enlists in the help of Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush), a speech therapist, after all the other speech therapists fail to assist Bertie. The film continues to follow their friendship through both good and bad/

We all know that this is supposed to be a great film judging by how it swept the Oscars and...it is. Colin Firth deserves all the praise that he is getting due to how good of a job he does portraying Bertie. If I had to pick a best performance, it's gotta go to Geoffrey Rush as Lionel due to his lovable, deadpan performance that leads to some of the films best moments (of which there are many). All the supporting cast does a good job of accompanying the leads which is helped by the great writing (leading to the aforementioned great moments).

While people complained about Tom Hooper's cinematography in Les Miserables but that doesn't seem to be as bad in The King's Speech some shots are well done and it has a great look with costumes and sets. This is a very nice looking film. It also has a surprisingly memorable soundtrack which was surprising as I didn't expect that form a film of this genre. It was a nice surprise.

The King's Speech is deserving of all the praise that it has gained. All the actors are great, the music is memorable, it looks great and has some clever writing. I enjoyed this film thouroughly...but I think Geoffrey Rush was cheated out of the Oscar...can't say I've seen The Fighter (it's just sitting on my DVD shelf gathering dust...). Now if you excuse me...I need sleep...

Verdict:
9/10
Great acting, good music, looks nice and is very well written. A good film through and through.

No comments:

Post a Comment