Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Steve Box and Nick Park, 2005) Review

Yeah I know it's been more than a week since my last review but there has been a lot going on recently so I've been distracted but at least it gave me time to think about other films to review since I was struggling to think of more (don't worry, I've got loads more now) and since I've been abusing LoveFilm and watching Rex The Runt, I thought I'd take a look at Aardman's big feature film based on their most beloved franchise. 

Wallace (Peter Sallis) and Gromit (...no one) now run an pest control business however, instead of killing the pests (specifically rabbits), they keep them in the basements so that Wallace can find a way to change their nature from being pests. When Wallace uses a machine on him and a rabbit, there are reports about a giant Were-Rabbit loose in the village. Wallace and Gromit agree to dispose of the Were-Rabbit so that Wallace can win over Lady Tottington (Helen Bonham Carter) while avoiding the wrath of jealous hunter Victor Quartermaine (Ralph Fiennes).

Considering that the whole film is claymation, it looks really nice. The animation is smooth and the new characters fit in well into the newly expanded Wallace & Gromit world. The new characters are memorable and fit in well into the tone of the show. It doesn't feel like a shark-jumping technique by Aardman and fits in well with the existing Wallace and Gromit flicks. Peter Sallis reprises his iconic role as Wallace which is brilliant and the new cast do a good job too.

Yes, this is a comedy the likes of previous Wallace and Gromit projects but it does take a very slight dark tone with scenes with the Were-Rabbit that I don't particularly think fits with Wallace and Gromit. Maybe this is because of the very lighthearted tone of everything else but I guess it set the tone for the next short featuring a serial killer. You could argue that this is the turning point of the series then.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a good way of bringing Wallace and Gromit to the mainstream, universal audience for an iconic duo. The film is thoroughly enjoyable with now major flaws however there isn't really anything strong with it except the very nice animation. I don't think I need to bother recommending this because, lets be honest, you've already seen this (and if you haven't...I don't believe you. It's like saying you haven't seen Avengers Assemble)

Verdict:
7.5/10
A good film that expands on the world of Wallace and Gromit. There isn't exactly anything that makes it stand out though...except the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment